Halloween Theme Party
Trick or treat? The trick is to treat your guests to a fun halloween theme party - why should the kids have all the fun?
October is the beginning of the busy Christmas season, so having a halloween theme party to sell your crafts is the perfect way to get those bookings rolling. Here are some ideas:
- Invitations - depending on the type of crafts you make, you can go for traditional scary or opt for a more sophisticated but dark look.
- Decoration - you can really go to town with a halloween theme party, as going over the top is what it's all about! Traditional halloween decorations include pumpkins, skeletons, bats and spiders, and orange and black are the colours most often associated with this holiday, but you can pick and choose the elements that will suit the look you're going for. Black is pretty much a must have though - try covering all the tables with black velvet for a sophisticated halloween theme.
- Crafts - halloween crafts can be included in most crafters' ranges - even jewellery makers can use the traditional orange and black to create themed pieces, and there are some cute halloween themed charms that can be incorporated. However if this isn't really your thing, you can still use halloween themed displays to show off your usual crafts, e.g. draping jewellery over pumpkins, or hanging your crafts from 'spider webs'. Your biggest challenge is probably lighting, as halloween parties tend to be rather dark affairs, so experiment with spotlights or desk lamps to highlight your wares.
- Food - I remember halloween parties as a kid where the food served was supposed to look gross, e.g. spaghetti as worms, rice as maggots, peeled grapes as eyeballs. You don't need to go this far though. Try colouring drinks or food to match your theme, or serve red wine or grape juice with snacks if you're trying to keep things a bit more grown up...
- Music - there are plenty of golden oldies with 'scary' themes that you can use, e.g. Bad Moon Rising, Devil Woman, etc. Or go for classical with a sombre tone, like Bach.
Have fun, but don't forget that you're there to sell and get bookings!
Click here to send me your ideas for a halloween theme party, or to let me know how successful yours is.